The Death Whisperer Series

The Death Whisperer Series
The Death Whisperer Series available at https://www.amazon.com/author/dmichaelolive

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Alain Caron & Chateau La Tour de Bessan Margaux


I’m going to take a break from the blues and move to something equally near and dear to my heart, namely great bass playing. Alain Caron is a French Canadian jazz bassist who first picked up the instrument at the age of 11. Three years later, he discovered jazz and was hooked on the genre. He started out as a self-taught musician, learning primarily through correspondence courses, but later attended the Berklee School of Music. He returned to Montreal, joining the group UZEB and focused on “jazz-fusion with a melody.” UZEB released 10 albums and toured internationally until 1993 when Caron went solo and released the first of seven solo albums. More recently, in 2007, the University of Quebec bestowed an honorary doctoral degree on him, and he is the only musician to ever receive the honor. He was ranked the No.1 bass player for 10 straight years by the magazine The Jazz Report. Most importantly, he’s one of my favorites.
  
Turkey loose on the kit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5uin7Clzs4 
Flight of the beebop bee: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwiM7mbLz_k

Sitting here watching a spring blizzard from my home office window made me think I need a hefty wine for the evening. So I recommend a fantastic bargain, if you can find it. I bought the 2009 Chateau La Tour de Bessan Margaux ($19.00) from PJ’s wine (www.pjwine.com). It has wonderful aromas of blackberries, blueberries, and violets. The taste is full of dark berries, crème de cassis, and a bit of peppery spice. The tannins don’t overpower (a characteristic I prefer) and slide smoothly into a long finish. I like this wine so much, I think I’m going to open a bottle this afternoon and sit by the fire proofreading my latest novel while I listen to the music of a fantastic bassist. Enjoy!

Cheers!

No comments: