The Death Whisperer Series

The Death Whisperer Series
The Death Whisperer Series available at https://www.amazon.com/author/dmichaelolive

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Summer wines under $25.00

I love wine. Having been in executive management for over twenty years, I've had some good ones, usually on an expense account with business people. Anyone can find a good wine for a hundred bucks. In fact, if you pay a hundred bucks and it isn't good, you have a big problem.

The real challenge for me is to find really good wines for under $25.00. Ones that I serve and recommend to friends...and sometime horde for myself! So, in the coming days I will discuss some of my favorites and going forward, I'll add new ones as I find them. While I've found some of the best wines I've ever tasted for $25.00 to $50.00, that's a bit pricey. As you will see, I usually try to stay around $15.00. Unless it's absolutely critical, I'm not going to specify a particular year as these wines are very consistent and I get frustrated when I can't find a recommended year at the store.

So, since it's summertime and the livin' is easy, let's start with whites, Sauvignon Blancs and Rieslings to be exact. Both types are light and refreshing, perfect for warm summer nights. The Sauvignon Blancs will be drier while the Rieslings are slightly sweet.

Sauvignon Blanc:
1. Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc; New Zealand; about $16.00.
Chill it well. Make sure you use a large wine glass and fill it about one-third full. Swirl the wine and smell the bouquet. It explodes with peach, citrus, and grapefruit. The taste is refresshing with citrus overtones and a clean finish. My absolute favorite of the group.

2. Whitehall Lane Sauvignon Blanc; California; about $20.00. Very clean, refreshing. Not quite as strong a bouquet as the Kim Crawford. Whitehall Lane is a very good vineyard, its Cabernets running $40.00 and more.

Riesling:
1. Snoqualmie Naked Riesling; Washington; $10.00. Excellent wine. I discovered this one while eating at Legal Seafoods in Boston. Slightly sweet, excellent finish. Yum!

2. Bridgeview Blue Moon Riesling; Oregon; $10.00. Incredible taste with distinct honey overtones. Great for just sipping on the porch, while you watch the sunset.

3. Chateau St. Michelle Dr. Loosen Eroica Riesling; Washington; about $22.00. Dr. Loosen wines are famous in Germany. It's an Alsatian style Riesling, not as sweet as the first too. While I really like it, it's tough to pass up the other two given their price is half as much. But try it anyway. It's a true German style riesling.

Tomorrow, I hit some summer reds. Gotta go. My Snoqualmie Riesling is getting warm.

No comments: