The Death Whisperer Series

The Death Whisperer Series
The Death Whisperer Series available at https://www.amazon.com/author/dmichaelolive

Sunday, April 14, 2013

Walter Lupi & Brazin Zinfandel


While stumbling around YouTube looking at different versions of Bob Dylan’s Watchtower, I tripped over an Italian guitarist named Walter Lupi. When I researched him a bit further, I discovered he not only has one of the best versions of the song I’ve ever heard, he has videos galore demonstrating an incredible ability and style of guitar. The frustrating thing, however, is that there is very little I could find on him through the internet. I did find one interview, which gave me hope, until I realized it was in Italian. The only things I know in Italian are words like lasagna, spaghetti Bolonesi, etc. Not much help.

I did learn he was born in 1960 and began playing at the age of ten, completely self-taught. However, later he enrolled in the Conservatorio di Alessandria and received a diploma with a concentration on music theory, harmony, and classical guitar. That’s it. So, rather than agonize over the details, I suggest we just listen to and enjoy a remarkable guitarist.


I’m pairing Walter with one of my favorite zinfandels. Brazin Old Vine Zin ($14.00) has a powerful nose full of dark berries, coffee, and chocolate. The flavors follow the palate adding a touch of vanilla. This is a very versatile wine. It goes great with a steak off the grill or even a pizza. But it’s also a great stand-alone sipper. And at this price, it’s one of the best values on the market. So grab a bottle and listen to a fantastic guitarist who, unless you understand Italian, will have to stand on his ability alone. Not a bad thing either, since he’s quite good.

Cheers!

No comments: