The Death Whisperer Series

The Death Whisperer Series
The Death Whisperer Series available at https://www.amazon.com/author/dmichaelolive

Monday, December 24, 2012

James Taylor & Horse Hills Heaven Le Chevaux


Back in 1970, I went to a concert with a new guitarist/songwriter and his pianist, both of whom were soon to be come a giants in the music world. The guitarist was James Taylor and his pianist was Carol King. Although I was a professional bassist at the time, I taught myself to play the guitar by buying a book entitled “The Finger Picking Style of James Taylor.” Songs like Fire & Rain, Blossom, Something in the Way She Moves, Machinegun Kelly, and You Can Close Your Eyes were regulars on my song list when I played the coffeehouses of Indiana during my college years. So tonight, I’ve listed some of my favorites as well as a 1970 BBC concert that really shows James’ guitar virtuosity as well as a concert by the original band with Carol King, Leeland Sklar, Danny Korchmar, and Russ Kunkel. Hope you enjoy the selections as much as I do.

Something in the way she moves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLoe35y73Ss
2011 Concert with Carol King: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IMntLIgIq8

The easy listening style of JT calls for an easy drinking wine, so I suggest a 2010 Les Chevaux Red from Columbia Crest’s Horse Heaven Hills (~$10.00). It’s a blend of Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Syrah with lots of spicy blackberry and chocolate on the palate. It has a bit of mocha on the finish. It goes well with food or just sitting in your favorite chair in front of the Christmas tree, reading a book and enjoying Christmas. Happy Holiday’s and a safe New Year.

Cheers!

No comments: