The Death Whisperer Series

The Death Whisperer Series
The Death Whisperer Series available at https://www.amazon.com/author/dmichaelolive

Monday, October 22, 2012

Philip Sayce & Corte Gardoni "Becco" Corvina


I think there must have been something in the water during the 70’s because as I was perusing a book on blues guitarists recently, I noticed an awful lot of super talents were born during that decade. So, I thought I’d run through a few. Tonight, I’m featuring Philip Sayce. Sayce (1976) was born in Aberystwyth, England, but his family moved to Canada when he was two years old, and he grew up in Toronto. He began playing in Toronto clubs at the age of sixteen and quickly became a regular fixture on Toronto’s bar-scene.

In 1997, he joined Jeff Healey’s band and toured the world for three and a half years, playing such places as Germany, Brazil, Finland, and the Montreux Jazz Festival in Switzerland. In December 2003, Sayce joined Melissa Etheridge and her band for The Lucky Tour and has subsequently played on several of her CDs.

As you listen to him you find his style is strongly influenced by Jimi Hendrix and Stevie Ray Vaughan. His powerful technique fuses both styles into a soulful, driving example of virtuoso blues playing.

You can run but you can’t hide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J387Opp6c4
Put the shoe on the other foot (with Jeff Healey): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOeKcwr2YYE&feature=related

Had a little bit of Indian Summer this past week, so I thought I’d recommend a lighter wine, perfect for an evening under the stars. The wine is a 2010 Corte Gardoni "Becco" Corvina Veronese (~$15.00). Its color is cherry red with a bouquet similar to Pinot Noir with subtle cherry strawberry, and herbs. It’s an easy drinking wine with a nice balance between fruit and dryness. It reminds me of a light Beaujolais. A good start for the week.

And while I’m discussing this wine, let me give a shout out to Moore Brother’s Wine Company located in Delaware, New York, and New Jersey. The stores opened in 1996 as a partnership between Greg Moore (sommelier at Le Bec Fin in Philadelphia for twenty years), David Moore, and wine importer Frank Splane. It is a unique establishment that offers carefully selected estate bottled wines from around the world. I really appreciate Greg’s reviews along with the fact that he chooses sensibly priced wines, almost all under $25.00. I have ordered wine from them for two years now and I have never had a bad recommendation yet. So, if you want to begin learning more about wines from an expert, follow the link (http://www.moorebrothers.com) and sign up for Greg’s tasting notes. Enjoy! 

Cheers!

No comments: