The Death Whisperer Series

The Death Whisperer Series
The Death Whisperer Series available at https://www.amazon.com/author/dmichaelolive

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Monty Montgomery & Meiomi Pinot Noir


I was working out at my health club recently listening to a Pandora channel while I tortured myself and a tune by Monte Montgomery came up. I’d forgotten how much I love his music so I thought I’d re-review him tonight.

Born August 11, 19666, he grew up in Birmingham, AL, but moved to Texas at the age of 12. In 1999, when Austin City Limits producer Terry Lickona invited him on the show, he introduced him by simply saying, “Monte Montgomery blows people away.”

He was on Guitar Player magazine's 2004 list of "The Top 50 All-Time Greatest Guitarists. He has also won the "Best Acoustic Guitar Player" award at the SXSW Festival’s Austin Music Awards seven years in a row (1998–2004), the only artist to have ever done so.

His unique combination of finger and flat picking, blazing single note runs, combined with an incredible chordal sense of harmony sets him off as one of those rare stratospheric guitarists. And if that isn’t enough, his soulful voice drives his music over the edge. This is one rerun you’re gonna love.


With a heavy wood guitarist like Monte, I recommend an equally heavy Pinot Noir like the 2010 Meiomi. This Pinot Noir is a blend of multiple vineyards along the California Coast, in Sonoma County, Monterey County and Santa Barbara County. The wine is heavy-duty: lush, balanced and luxurious. The nose is a blend of mixed berries and spice while the taste is like your grandmother’s cherry pie. It’s a bit closed upon opening, so give it some time to breathe. In addition to being a great value (retail $33.00; available at Shaw’s in Boston or your local Costco for $18.00) it pairs well with food like grilled pork chops, lamb chops, salmon, or even a good burger. Of course, it’s also great for sipping alone. Enjoy it with the music of one of the acoustic guitar greats.

Cheers!

1 comment:

Rick Daley said...

I loves me some good slide guitar!