The Death Whisperer Series

The Death Whisperer Series
The Death Whisperer Series available at https://www.amazon.com/author/dmichaelolive

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Fourplay & Domaine Corsin Puoilly-Fuisse Vielles


Fourplay is one of my favorite contemporary jazz quartets. Founded in 1991, the original members of the group were Bob James (keyboards), Lee Ritenour (guitars), Nathan East (bass), and Harvey Mason (drums). Ritenour left the group in 1997 and was replaced by Larry Carlton. Carlton played with the group for the next thirteen years and left in 2010. He was replaced by Chuck Loeb, and occasionally Abe Laboriel sits in in place of Nathan East.

Their music, a mix of jazz, pop, and R&B, has appealed to millions and has received several Grammy nominations. Ritenour and Carlton are two of my favorite jazz guitarists, although Carlton plays a mean blues too. Chuck Loeb has a slightly different style from Carlton, more similar to Ritenour, but excellent in every way. Their music is just plain great listening. Hope you enjoy it.

Wish you were here (Ritenour): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5CI_yoNZd4

Wine-wise, I’m taking a different tact tonight. If you look back at the history of this blog, you’ll find I never review Chardonnays. I’ve just never been fond of the “buttery” taste that’s often characteristic of these wines. But keeping an open mind, I bought a couple of bottles of a 2009 Domaine Corsin Pouilly-Fuisse Vielles Vignes, thinking I’d give it a shot. Steven Tanzer, the Burgundy afficianado, rated this a 92, so I thought it would be a good example of the type. Its bouquet and flavors have notes of honey and apples tinged with citrus…but it also has a touch of butter. I can’t really comment on whether this is a good example of Pouilly-Fuisse because, as I said, I don’t care for Chardonnay-based wines, but this one isn’t bad. Would I buy it again? No, I’d much rather have a Sancerre, Albarino, or a New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc, but then, I’m biased. If you’re a lover of Chardonnay, try this one. You may agree with Tanzer, however this is a prime example of drinking what you like, not what the experts recommend. Enjoy the music.

Cheers!

No comments: