The Death Whisperer Series

The Death Whisperer Series
The Death Whisperer Series available at https://www.amazon.com/author/dmichaelolive

Monday, July 4, 2011

Tommy Emmanuel and Freemark Abbey Merlot


Since I reprised my feature of Greg Howe, one of the finest electric shredders on the scene today, I thought  I should balance him with someone whom I consider to be the finest acoustic shredder to pick up the guitar, namely Tommy Emmanuel.

In case you’ve never heard of him, Tommy is a two time Grammy nominated Australian guitarist who plays like no one you’ve ever heard. He plays melody, rhythm, bass, and drum on one guitar. He got his first guitar at age 4 and was taught initially by his mother. In 1962 he heard Chet Atkins who became a huge influence on his unique style, one that entails using all ten of his fingers to play. I daresay if he had the flexibility, he’d use his toes, too. I had to cut myself off at including sixteen selections, but I could go on and on. You’re gonna like him!


To enjoy Tommy, I suggest a 2008 Freemark Abby Merlot ($19.00). It’s a deep garnet color with a spicy oak bouquet. The flavors show layers of blackberry, cherry cassis, plums, vanilla, and dark chocolate. Both the entry and finish are smooth and rich with the latter lingering long after you’ve swallowed. It makes you want to open a second bottle, it’s that good. Wine Enthusiast rated it 94 and I agree. Very nice wine to accompany the acoustic shredding of Tommy Emmanuel. Enjoy!

Cheers!

No comments: