The Death Whisperer Series

The Death Whisperer Series
The Death Whisperer Series available at https://www.amazon.com/author/dmichaelolive

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Huskermania

I am not a native Nebraskan. But there is a phenomenon in this state that centers on the University of Nebraska football team--Huskermania. Unless you see it, it's hard to describe. On Friday before a game, everyone is in red, the school color. On Saturday, if you're not wearing red, you will catch some seriously disdainful looks. The football stadium becomes the third largest city in the state on a football weekend.

I am frequently invited to give scientific talks at international meetings and I refer to Huskermania as the state religion, with the stadium as the cathedral. This year Nebraska has a new archbishop, Bo Pelini, who everyone hopes will return Nebraska to the top ten after the four horrible years under the heretic, Bill Callahan. In all fairness, he was a jerk and a lousy coach.

My wife and I usually do our grocery shopping on Saturday mornings. This morning, countless shoppers left with carts filled with cases of beer, ice, and chips. Hmmm. Wonder what they're going to be doing tonight.

Not being a big beer drinker, I plan on turning on the Missouri-Illinois game, grabbing the latest Jack Higgins novel, and relaxing with the bottle of Snoqualmie riesling I have chilling as I write this. With a case of Cartlidge and Brown Pinot Noir, two bottles each of Kim Crawford Pinot Noir and Savingnon Blanc, a bottle of Whitehaven Sauvignon Blanc, and one of Blue Moon riesling, I'm all set for the long weekend. I might even spend some time working on my third novel, "Angels Twice Fallen." Have a good one and try some wine.

No comments: