The Death Whisperer Series

The Death Whisperer Series
The Death Whisperer Series available at https://www.amazon.com/author/dmichaelolive

Thursday, June 16, 2011

A life well lived


No wine review tonight. Instead, I want to talk about two of my heros. Yesterday, we had the memorial service for my son-in-law, Matt Byerly. He died Monday morning at the age of 25 of a horrible cancer. Yet in spite of the tremendous pain and difficulty he suffered, he faced death with dignity, grace, courage, and humor. He was confident of his future, as he was a believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, as am I. My daughter Rachel stood by him through two and a half years of surgery after surgery, several drug trials, and finally, his death. His last hours were agitated as his body began to shut down, yet when Rachel told him that she’d be all right, and if he saw Jesus, he could go, he took her arm,  squeezed it three time, their signal for “I love you,” and died. He’s now with Christ celebrating a life well lived. So tonight I celebrate the lives of two courageous young people from whom I’ve learned so much over these past few years.

I’ve place links to some music videos of Matt’s favorite songs as well as a few that I think are appropriate to a celebration of a life well lived. First songs may seem a bit melancholy, but you’re gonna wanna stomp in celebration by the end. I’ve included the lyrics to a Big Daddy Weave song that says it all. Matt’s lifesong definitely sang to God.

















Hanging by a thread, From the tree of this life
I've been spinning round and round and round
Inside my flesh cocoon
An old beat up Pinto might be what I drive for now
But I'll be driving a Cadillac soon

Cause you know one day I will fly
To my mansion in the sky
And I'll have no regrets
when I leave this place for good
When I say my last farewell
oh, please don't forget to tell them
That I'm not really dead
I'm just changing neighborhoods

Living in this place that is only temporary
I said that this old world is in the process of slipping away
Though I have such a future
I've got to be wary that my bright tomorrow doesn't blind me
to what God has for me today

Cause you know one day I will fly
To my mansion in the sky
And I'll have no regrets
when I leave this place for good
When I say my last farewell
oh, please don't forget to tell them
That I'm not really dead
I'm just changing neighborhoods

Cause you know one day I will fly
To my mansion in the sky
And I'll have no regrets
when I leave this place for good
When I say my last farewell
oh, please don't forget to tell them
That I'm not really dead
I'm just changing neighborhoods

4 comments:

Rick Daley said...

My condolences on your loss. My mother passed away in 2001 from ovarian cancer, after a 9-month battle. It's difficult to watch, but you do get the chance to say goodbye and I love you. My father-in-law passed away in 1999 in a fatal motorcycle accident...much different scenario.

Here's a great clip of Victor Wooten playing Amazing Grace:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PA-ZKDOoBnk

CRM said...

My father-in-law passed away in 1999 in a fatal motorcycle accident...much different scenario.
Thanks for post...

Theresa H Hall said...

Wow, Mike! So sorry for your loss. Sunday very late, June 12th, I lost my Brother-in-law, Frank, and he was much older than we, he lived 72 years. Monday night June 13th, we took our beloved kitty to the vet to help her cross The Rainbow Bridge. I have to say that heaven is full of some of the most loved people and how happy we should be for them all. Blessings for you and especially for your daughter. Hugs from the East Coast, USA. Theresa

Melody said...

My most sincere sympathy to you and your family. I'm glad your faith brings you solace. I found out only this morning that one of my neighbors had died. I'm glad for those who have died, but I'm sad for those of us left here. I will pray for you.